Home   |   Rooms & Pricing   |   Local Links   |   Contact Us
.




A warm welcome awaits you
at the Old Wellsboro Inn.


This lovely dwelling was built
in 1821 and served as Wellsboro’s first Stage Coach Stop and Tavern.

Nearly two century's later
guests contine to enjoy the charm and comfort of the inn.
 

WELCOME TO WELLSBORO
Wellsboro is a borough in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, United States, located 52 miles northwest of Williamsport. Early in the twentieth century, Wellsboro was the shipping point and trade center for a large area. It had fruit evaporators, flour and woolen mills, a milk-condensing plant, marble works, saw mills, foundry and machine shops, and manufactories of cut glass, chemicals, rugs, bolts, cigars, carriages, and furniture.

Wellsboro was incorporated in 1830 and was named in honor of Mary Wells, wife of one of the original settlers, Benjamin Wistar Morris. The town was the home of George W. Sears (1821 – 1890), a sportswriter for Forest and Stream magazine in the 1880s and an early environmentalist. His stories, appearing under the pen name, "Nessmuk" popularized self-guided canoe camping tours of the Adirondack lakes in open, lightweight solo canoes and what is today called ultralight camping. Wellsboro was also the site of one of the first factories where light bulbs were mass-produced, using machines whose design remains essentially unchanged from the early 20th century when the Corning company established the plant in the town.


Copyright 2012 - Old Wellsboro Inn  -  All Rights Reserved.